The only one in Greece offering combined expertise in the globally rapidly developing field of Genetics and Bioinformatics.
MSc Medical Genetics and Genomics
REASONS FOR CHOOSING THIS PROGRAMME
The only Master’s degree in Medical Genetics and Genomics
Degree from a top International University
Master of Science degree from the Oxford Brookes University, with a long tradition in Health Sciences studies.
Classes in laboratories
Numerous hours of learning in the purpose-built and state-of-the-art labs of Biomedical Sciences and practice using special Bioinformatics tools.
Flexible class schedule
Ideal timetable for working students and completion of studies in one academic year.
Broad network of collaborators
The Metropolitan College has developed an extensive network of collaborations with diagnostic centres and hospitals.
The objective of the MSc on Medical Genetics and Genomics is to offer students a broad education in the field, assisting them to understand the genetic background of many diseases, including cancer.
This course will enhance the scientific background of graduates in recombinant DNA techniques, bioinformatics, high-performance and modern technologies for studying genetic diseases. We are in an era of rapid transition in Medicine, with technological developments now allowing genome analysis with direct clinical application. Medical Genetics and Genomics are adopted for patient care, diagnosis and prognosis of diseases. From genome sequencing to microarrays, there is the ability to collect medical information, which pose a great challenge, however, in terms of their analysis and interpretation.
Graduates will be equipped with an in-depth knowledge of “omics” technologies and will acquire Bioinformatics skills for analysis and diagnosis in the health sector. They will learn to use a variety of professional tools for genome analysis.
- Advanced Molecular Techniques
- Genome Science
- Molecular basis of Human Genetic Disease
- Clinical genetics and diagnostics
- Functional Genomics and Research Methods
- Advances in Medical Genetics Research Project
LEARN MORE ABOUT THE PROGRAMME
The MSc on Medical Genetics and Genomics offers the necessary qualifications to those seeking specialisation in the field of laboratory Genetics.
The programme’s graduates can:
- continue their studies further in Genetics research.
- work in diagnostic centres or hospitals: providing specialised genetic analysis techniques, Bioinformatics analysis of genetic data or omics.
- have a career in the pharmaceutical industry in the design and analysis of new medicine.
This programme is aimed at graduates and professionals who wish to advance professionally in the field of diagnosis or research on Genetics.
- Completed application form
- Copy of passport (page with your personal details and photo)
- Certified English translation of High School Leaving Certificate and mark sheet or equivalent qualifications
- Certified English translation of Bachelor’s Degree and transcripts
- Proof of English language proficiency
- Letter of recommendation / reference from academics or employers
- Curriculum Vitae – CV
- Evidence of work experience (where applicable)
- Other certificates/degrees
The student must also provide certified copies of official certificates from their previous institution that should state that he/she has completed the programme or qualification. Additional documentation may be required.
A personal interview complements the evaluation of the above documentation.