Corporate Social Responsibility
Metropolitan College is an academic institution which handles social matters and people in need with care, sensitivity and responsibility. Throughout the years, the College has actively supported organizations such as "Hamogelo tou Paidiou/Amber Alert Hellas", "SOS Children's Villages", "Kivotos tou Kosmou" etc. More specifically, the following charity initiatives have been organised:
- FITNESS4ALL: on the occasion of the World Physical Activity Day 2019, the Sports Coaching and Physical Education Department of the School of Health of Metropolitan College in Piraeus organized an outdoor interactive event about the benefits of physical activity. During the event, Sports Coaching and Physical Education students invited passers-by to engage in mild gymnastics, while at the same time they were informing them about the benefits of daily exercise. Within the framework of the event, a relevant information brochure was distributed, including the professional advice of the Department's academic staff.
- Special Me, You, All: on the occasion of the World Disabled Day 2018, Metropolitan College organized the special action "Special Me, You, All" in the heart of the city of Piraeus, aiming at informing and raising the public awareness about the people with special needs. Students of Special Education, Occupational Therapy and Speech Therapy Departments, led by their qualified academics, invited citizens to participate in short experiential activities, aiming raise awareness about the challenges that people with disabilities face in their daily lives. By using specific stimuli, participants had the opportunity to experience the everyday life of a person with Blindness, Kinetic Disability and Deafness for a few minutes.
- Yearly Scholarships: at the beginning of each academic year, Metropolitan College announces the year's scholarships, mainly addressed to students from sensitive social groups, such as single parent families, families with very low income, students with special needs, athletes etc. The scholarships programme is announced each year in the Press, as well as in Metropolitan College's official website. In 2014, AMC proudly announced 21 scholarships, offered to SOS Children's Villages, Greek Olympic Winners Society, Cancer Support Community "Be Strong" etc.
- Speech Therapy sessions for families with low income: the Department of Speech Therapy contributes to Marousi Municipality social work by hosting and handling cases of young children with learning and speech difficulties, at no expense for the child's family. All cases are handled by the Speech Therapy final year students, under the supervision of the academics of the Department.
- Special Olympics World Summer Games 2011: the students of the BSc (Hons) Physiotherapy programme participated as volunteers in the Special Olympics World Summer Games 2011, which took place in Athens between June 25 and July 4.
- Blood Donors Support 2011: Metropolitan College supports the National Association of Blood Donors by contributing to the production of their special promotional publication “Give Blood, Save a Life”, through advertising.
- Annual Charity Christmas Bazaar: each year and before the Christmas break, our students voluntarily and with the full support of the College staff and Management, organize a charity bazaar at the Athens campus, selling accessories, hand made jewellery, books, gadgets, as well as healthy Christmas sweets produced by Dietetics and ECS students. All profits are donated to charity institutions for the support and protection of children.