The first and only Bachelor degree of a British University in Biomedical Sciences provided in Greece with accreditation by the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS).
BSc (Hons) Biomedical Sciences
REASONS FOR CHOOSING THIS PROGRAMME
Accredited by IBMS
Degree from a top International University
Bachelor of Science degree from the University of East London.
The only College with Health Sciences graduates who are registered members of the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC).
Classes in laboratories
Numerous hours of learning in state-of-the-art, well-equipped proprietary labs of Biomedical Sciences.
Plethora of career prospects
Ability to work in a wide range of health organisations (e.g. Diagnostic centres, hospital labs, pharmaceutical companies, etc.).
Opportunity to enrol in a Medical School
Graduates of this course can enrol in the 2nd year of Medicine courses in Universities abroad.
The BSc (Hons) Biomedical Sciences at the Metropolitan College combines theory with practice and clinical training. The main objective of the programme is to educate students in understanding, diagnosing, and treating several diseases.
Biomedical Scientists staff modern hospital laboratories, carrying out complex research techniques and providing information required for the clinical diagnosis of diseases. For this reason, the modules of the Biomedical Sciences Department cover all main health sciences and offer extensive laboratory practice on the techniques required by diagnostic laboratories. Biomedical students – apart from basic knowledge of Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Microbiology and Human Physiology – are also taught Molecular Biology and Genetics techniques, as well as their medical applications. Furthermore, emphasis is placed on the molecular aetiology of diseases and their diagnosis, using specialised methods. Between the 2nd and 3rd year of Biomedical studies, students perform a 1-year placement in respective certified clinical sites in order to gain experience and familiarise themselves with the professional clinical environment.
Graduates of the Biomedical Sciences programme are eligible to submit an application to obtain professional rights in the European Union through the Health Professions Council (HPC) of Great Britain or the British Institute of Biomedical Sciences (IBMS).
MODULES PER YEAR
- Professional Practice in Science (Mental Wealth)
- Essential Chemistry
- Cell Biology
- Introduction to Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Fundamentals in Human Anatomy and Physiology
- Fundamentals in Microbiology
- Human Disease and Clinical Practice
- Molecular Biology and Genetics
- Infection and Immunity
- Cellular Biochemistry
- Haematology and Transfusion
- Science Research and Career Development (Mental Wealth)
- Placement Year
- Clinical Biochemistry
- Medical Microbiology
- Cellular Pathology
- Clinical Immunology
- Clinical Genetics
- Research Project and Career Enhancement Portfolio (Mental Wealth)
LEARN MORE ABOUT THE PROGRAMME
Graduates of the Biomedical Sciences Department will be well-equipped with the appropriate knowledge and skills that will enable them to work:
- in laboratories of hospitals or diagnostic centres;
- in the field of research;
- in pharmaceutical companies;
- in private education.
This programme is aimed at graduates of secondary education who wish to work in the field of Biomedical Sciences.
- Completed application form
- Copy of passport (page with your personal details and photo)
- Certified English translation of High School Leaving Certificate and mark sheet or equivalent qualifications
- Proof of English language proficiency
- Letter of recommendation / reference from academics or employers
- Other certificates/degrees
Cases of candidates with proven knowledge in the field in addition to their secondary education are examined on a case-by-case basis.
A personal interview complements the evaluation of the above documentation.